An Open World Pokemon ROM Hack
- Turns the game into an open world experience
- Badges can be acquired in any order
- All 251 Pokemon can be caught without trading
- Ability to re-challenge a Pokemon Gym
- Story elements are removed
- Character customization is limited
- Pokemon in the wild do not scale
- Graphics are somewhat dated
Removed Roadblocks and Gym Scaling
Essentially, the hack works by removing story elements and roadblocks, allowing the player to travel the entire game world freely, without needing to complete specific tasks. Additionally, the Pokemon Gyms can also be challenged in any order, with the Gym leader's Pokemon scaling in relation to the number of badges the player currently has. All 251 Pokemon can be acquired from Pokemon Crystal Clear, without the need to trade.
The Price of Freedom
The freedom that Pokemon Crystal Clear provides does come at the cost of story elements, which may not appeal to all players. Moreover, while Pokemon faced in Pokemon Gyms scale according to the player's progression, wild Pokemon do not, meaning some areas are technically accessible, but best avoided in the early game. Nevertheless, the ability to explore the world freely is a major plus point.